Thursday, August 20, 2009

Venipuncture/Venepuncture Hands-on

The first time I let people take blood on me, I felt like I was having a roller coaster ride-like the spaceshot in Genting, when you are hung in the middle of the air of 20-storey height and waiting for it to dash down in full force and you hold your breath for it and wait for the moment to arrive-that was the kind of moment I had for my very first time of being poked. Because you see, the thought of pain is just overwhelming, but the truth is the actual feeling of pain might just be less overwhelming after all. Anyway, after being poked, I was just simply buoyant over the fact that I've been POKED for my first time eventually, I did conquer my fear over the thought of pain and I pretty much had a very 'high' moment of my life!

So I thought, now that I had my first time of being poked, it's time for me to poke other people some other time, and today, I had my chance *YAY*(shouting inside)!


So today I had my clinical session in PPUKM, there're a few doctor stuff that we had to learn: 1. interprete chest X-ray; 2. venipunture and; 3. listen to the heart sound.


We went on to the chest X-ray part after listening to the briefing, it was very catchy looking at all those abnormal X-rays and being explained to. Following that, we rotated to the next station which was venipuncture and when we arrived there was already people practicing on each other and it was so thrilling by watching alone already. However, there was one not so successful trial that had put the sudject in great pain, could see right through her expression, just dreadful, blood was coming out, subject ouch-ing in pain and the handler not sure to go further in or out *shiver

Anyway, after we were brieved about it, we tried on a mannequin first, even though wasn't really successful but till the end I still decided to do it on a real human being as I didn't wanna regret over missing the chance. But don't be scared by the sound of it, coz now that I know, I'm fully capable in fact haha! Okay, after me and Ryan reached our consensus of being each others' victim, I had my go before him. And here goes the drill:


For starter, I gathered all the essentials needed, a syringe, a needle, gloves, alcohol swab and a cotton. Next thing I did was to feel the vein, choose a nice and conspicuous one, wear on my gloves, tie the tourniquet and prepare the needle and syringe. When all things were set, here I went, holding the syringe, toughened up my mental state a bit convincing myself that I'm gonna do best and started to approach the VEIN(I didn't notice how Ryan looked but Pau told me later on that he was quite anxious watching me lolx!!)Anyway, maintaining the needle at 15 to 30 degrees, I firmly pushed the needle in without a problem, well at the same time I could see my hand which was holding the syringe shaking quite a bit, god knows how the owner of the vein felt(but it's not that I could control, I wasn't nervous at all alright). Then I kept on pushing it waiting the back flow to appear but after a bit less then half of the needle had gone in the back flow still didn't appear. So, the teaching staff asked me to stop and start to pull the blood out and surprisingly, it did come out which indicated my golden success! hurray^^


After that was Ryan's turn for revenge. And he did all the pre-procedure preparation and found my vein too. One thing to highlight here is that my vein was praised!!Ohhohoho! The staff said it was a really nice vein and told Ryan not to mess up with it and lose my vein(and then I thought well it's okay coz if he loses my vein I still have my VAIN-ity)erhm, and then when all set, he began to insert the needle. Watching it go in and the transient stinging pain were quite thrilling, I think the pain might have triggered the release of Endorphine in my brain hah! Anyway, it was quite a success too but not that much compared to my 'GOLDEN' one hah!!Coz too bad an hour and a half later, it became like this:

However, none of his fault, just some insignificant local hypersensitivity, now it has subsided most of it. Anyway, I wanna do more venipuncture in the future, might even get addicted to it hah.

9 comments:

Ryan Yew said...

Ha ha ha ==
You must have floated TOO high up in the sky again.
Let me pull you back onto the earth, shall I?

Next time while removing the tourniquet for any other people right?
Hold the position of your "GOLDEN" syringe would you?
Cause the scene's still vivid in my mind, when you moved forward, the needle went in deeper, deeper and DEEPER into my arm you know??
Till there was only 1/5 of the needle seen outside my skin..
And wasn't the "BEST" part of all, after removing the tourniquet, you moved backward along with your precious syringe once again >.<
Telling you all these I bet you will deny and refuse to admit any one of those.
Fortunately, it's not leaving any purpura but the everlasting, excruciating soreness at my left elbow.
Hah! SOoo thanks to you ==

-=kay=- said...

omg spirit!! im so so so so so so so damn proud of u.. its like shouting 'i got a doctor fren!!!!' hahahahahahahaha.. omg.. nex time i shall let u do more venopuncture on me!!! hahaha..

Alison.Monday said...

ryan: swt swt swt!!!sorry ur arm is bruised!next time i'll definitely do better,haha...so yea,guess it wasn't tat golden after all =.="

Kay: oh dear,thks!!you're so supportive haha!!after reading the above comment from my victim you're still willing to let me punture on you,woohoo^^anyway,looking forward to hear interesting stuff going on in the law field as well lolx!

Ryan Yew said...

Zzz..

spiky said...

looks fun! sorry, but i think the spelling should be venipuncture or venipuncture. good luck for your future.

ybyb said...

poke poke poek poke puke !!

Alison.Monday said...

spiky: ouch haha!sorry but thks hehe
jacquez:dun puke when u poke!!

spiky said...

you are welcome. =)

Ryan Yew said...

Alison didn't take her shower that evening, that's how the stinky she got all those inconspicuous WARTS popping out, gathering around the venipuncture spot. Hah!
HOT-boiled eggs sure are tasty, want some?
I'm bringing them this coming Tuesday =P